Thursday 18 December 2014

My Top Ten Christmas Specials: No 6

Voyage of the Damned

What could be more Christmassy than a disaster movie starring pint-sized pop princess Kylie Minogue?*

Well, quite a few things really, but big budget disaster movies (and Bond films) used to be a centrepiece of Christmas family viewing before we had a Doctor Who Christmas special.  I enjoyed this, but couldn’t help thinking it was a rip-off of my favourite computer game (and the only one I ever managed to win), the brilliant Starship Titanic by former Doctor Who script editor Douglas Adams.  According to The Writer’s Tale, this was an accident, and plans for the episode were well advanced before the similarity was discovered.  The finished episode would have been better if they had included the insane parrot from the game, though.

*I understand that one is legally required always to refer to Ms Minogue as a ‘pint-sized pop princess’

Christmas Factor: 2/10

Victorian/Dickensian Factor: 0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...