Wednesday 17 December 2014

My top ten Christmas Specials: No. 7


Number 7: The Next Doctor
If you are wondering why this Special is number 7, one word: Cybershades. Putting a mask on a hearthrug does not a convincing monster make.
In my 2008 diary I wrote that “The Next Doctor was an enjoyable family film type episode – it was clear very early on that RTD had (as suspected) merely been being evil with the  ‘is it the next incarnation of the Doctor’ hype.”
 
In retrospect, I don’t think the episode is particularly strong once the joke with David Morrissey is over.  The graveyard scene certainly looks good, but it seems to have been included precisely for that reason rather than to further the plot.  And the denouement with the CyberKing and the balloon-TARDIS is incredibly silly. 

Christmas Factor: 3/10
Victorian/Dickensian Factor: 9/10
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...