Sunday 28 December 2014

Last Christmas...

Sunday 28 December

It’s been a couple of days now since I first saw Last Christmas, and I’m still not sure what I think. I really did not like it much on first viewing. I thought the whole dream plot rather obvious and lazy, and the general theme ‘we are all dying and we celebrate Christmas because we think it will be our last’ very bleak. 

On second viewing, I liked it a bit better. Nick Frost’s Santa-with-attitude was excellent, as were the two sarcastic elves, Wolf and Ian. And the juxtaposition of Santa and the Doctor as two impossible beings with implausible means of transport that are bigger on the inside worked well, up to a point. 

But comparing the Doctor in this way with Santa Claus, and emphasising that dreams can be nested within dreams and that we can never know whether we are truly awake, serves to undermine any future stories. How can we be sure that next season isn’t still part of the dream? For that matter, perhaps the last season was part of the dream. I mean, the Moon is a giant egg? Forests that grow overnight to protect the Earth? Missy is surely a creature from the Doctor’s worst nightmare.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...