Monday 15 December 2014

My Top Ten Christmas Specials: No. 8


The End of Time (Parts 1 and 2)
 
Maybe I’m prejudiced about this story because it was the one in which the Tenth Doctor regenerates, but it doesn’t quite work for me.
 
 Positives:
 
  • Bernard Cribbins
  • The café scene
  • Timothy Dalton
Problems:
 
  • The preposterous way in which the Master is brought back to ‘life’ (or almost) at the start
  •  The cliffhanger at the end of part 1
  •  The Doctor’s self-indulgent ‘farewell tour’ at the end. And since he is breaking the rules by doing it anyway, why didn’t he go back to see Reinette as well?
   
What I did enjoy that year was the almost complete takeover of the Christmas TV and radio schedules by David Tennant, who was even on the BBC One station idents and Desert Island Discs. Oh, and I want to be June Whitfield (Minnie).
 

 Christmas Factor: 3/10 - still too bleak
Victorian/Dickensian Factor: 0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...