Sunday 30 November 2014

Farewell Adric

Sunday 29 November 2014

Today's offering from UK Drama is Earthshock, which I believe may hold the record as the last Doctor Who story with a spoiler-free ending.  Well, apart possibly from the surprise appearance of Rose at the end of Partners in Crime.

At the time, I was quite upset about Adric's demise, as I had rather a soft spot for him.   

I can't remember having watched this since it was first broadcast, and it seems likely that I haven't, as we don't appear to have a copy.  (The husband has just been doing a stocktake of our VHS and DVD Doctor Who library, and can't find it - yes, we really know how to enjoy ourselves on a Sunday!)

Later:

Adric is having a massive teenage strop.  I don't remember that at all.  Though unlike most teenagers, he wants to go home, rather than go out.

I do remember the Cybermen from this episode, though.  I still think the design is a bit too elaborate, and the voices are rather too fruity and not metallic enough. Plus they say 'excellent' rather too much. Not at all scary.

Beryl Reid has to be the least believable space freighter captain ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...