Wednesday 5 July 2017

WHO cares?

5 July 2017

There is still an incredible amount of speculation in the press about the identity of the next Doctor. The media seem convinced that she should be a woman, and keep suggesting names of various female actors (or comedians) who then have to issue a denial.

It seems to me that this is an impossible situation.  If a woman is cast, then the media will immediately seize on any decline in viewing figures (which are declining anyway, along with those for every other TV programme as viewing habits change) as the fault of the 'Woman Doctor.'  If  they don't cast a woman, and I still think it will be a thirty-something male who is not yet quite a household name, then Chris Chibnall will be blamed for lack of gender equality.  Which is ridiculous. Why should there be any need to change the Doctor's gender in order to prove some sort of political point.

I'm beginning to wonder if the only answer is Eddie Izzard.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...