Sunday 9 July 2017

Pink for the Stegosaurus

9 July 2017

The Dinosaur Invasion is the first story I can remember seeing.  Or at least I don't remember seeing it as much as discussing having seen it, whilst watching Death to the Daleks (or 'the one with the hearthrugs, as my mother called it - sadly ahead of her time.  She could have had a great career writing episode titles for Friends.) When I married into fandom, I saw it again on a somewhat grainy off-air VHS tape. 

Memory plays strange tricks, though. I could have sworn that on the map of the dinosaur materialisations stegosaurus were colour coded pink. But watching the DVD whilst ironing yesterday morning, I realised that it was actually 'pink for the pterodactyls.' I have been living a lie all these years!

If you make allowances for the primitive (or prehistoric) special effects, this story stands up quite well.  True, Sarah does behave with annoying stupidity at times, when she once again picks completely the wrong person to ask for help, but then this is as far as I am aware, the only story until Mawdryn Undead where one of the series regulars is actively working against the Doctor.

Today we watched The Stones of Blood.  This I found genuinely creepy on first viewing, and it remains my favourite from the Key to Time Season. Earlier this year we visited the Rollright Stones, which were used for location filming (with a few polystyrene additions.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...