Sunday 12 October 2014

My kingdom for a Sonic Screwdriver!

The TARDIS video cabinet took a long time to arrive, mainly because the delivery company kept trying to deliver it when we were out, rather than at the pre-arranged time. Eventually they left it with our neighbours, three doors down.

By the time we eventually took possession of it, we were really impatient, and couldn't bear to wait any longer.  This was unfortunate, as the cabinet came as a flatpack, and the supplier had somehow omitted to include the screws.  It was a Saturday,  I was all geared up with my (non-sonic) screwdriver,* and didn't want to wait another week for an opportunity to assemble it, so I called the company and asked them for the size of the screws and fittings.

Armed with this information, I dashed round to our local hardware store.  This was, and still is, an old-fashioned establishment. Think Two Ronnies  'Four Candles' sketch.  I went up to the counter, gave them my most confident, 'I may be a woman, but I know how to handle a screwdriver' smile, and asked for the items on my list.

Cue much head-scratching.  'I don't think we have any of those. What do you want them for?' asked the sales assistant.

'Building a TARDIS....'

.....

Much, much later, I finally finished assembling the TARDIS, using screws that were very nearly the right size. I must have done something right - 21 year's later it's still standing, and even survived a house move.

*In case you are wondering why I was doing this, my husband didn't own a screwdriver. His role was to make the tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...