Sunday 19 October 2014

May 2005: mixed reactions


Saturday 7 May 2005

This week’s episode [The Long Game] was good, though I seem to be in a minority with this opinion.  Simon Pegg’s character reminded me very much of one of my colleagues…

Saturday 14 May 2005

Well, I absolutely hated Father’s Day.  Way too much emotional baggage, and there was something not quite convincing about the way the CGI monsters moved – as if the church was made of metal and their feet were magnetic.   The vase reminded me of the one that my parents brought me as a present from Bulgaria, that doesn’t hold water.  Rather like the plot of this episode.

Saturday 21 May 2005

Now The Empty Child really was chilling, despite the obvious disadvantage of being broadcast on a sunny afternoon.  I can imagine a lot of parents of small children are going to get very tired of the “Are you my mummy?” line very soon.

I’m not entirely sure about the barrage balloon flight over London, which looked a bit fake to me, but three cheers for Captain Jack (swoon!).

Saturday 28 May 2005

Truly inspired dialogue – especially the boys’ toys rivalry between Captain Jack and the Doctor. What’s wrong with a sonic screwdriver, anyway? I could have done with one that weekend when I was trying to assemble the TARDIS video cabinet. Even Richard Wilson got some good lines (to the lady who found herself with two legs after being resigned to a future with only one “there is a war on – is it possible you miscounted?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...