Saturday 6 October 2018

Deletion

Saturday 6 October 2018

Cyberman
Only one day to go until Jodie Whittaker is properly introduced as the new Doctor.  I have been so busy lately that I haven't really had time to get excited yet, but I'm definitely working up to it now.

I recently blogged about the feminisation of the audience for Doctor Who.  There was another good example of that at work this week.  It was at the start of a meeting of a university committee that approves new degree programmes, and someone mentioned that an obsolete programme was going to be deleted.  'That sounds like something the Cybermen would do' said the chair (another lady of a certain age like myself, who looks absolutely nothing like the traditional image of a Who fan.)  She then went on to mention that an old friend of hers had been in a Cybermen episode. From the description of the character I immediately identified  Mrs Moore from Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel played by Helen Griffin. By this time one or two of our (male) colleagues on the other side of the table were looking bemused, but that did not stop the chair from adding that another friend used to run a shop where they did occasional Who-related signings and once arranged for Tom Baker to phone her at work.

I didn't have the heart to ask whether she was sure it wasn't Jon Culshaw.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...