Saturday 15 April 2017

The Pilot

Saturday 15 April 2017

After a long break from our screens, the Doctor has returned in an episode that is in many ways reminiscent of Rose. It was very much about introducing the new companion, Bill.  If first impressions are anything to go by, she will be good. Her initial reaction to the TARDIS ('like a posh kitchen') was hilarious. But it occurs to me that I need a new kitchen soon.  I wonder whether the other half would be more convinced if we went for a TARDIS look?*

The episode is called The Pilot.  It turns out that there is something lurking in the university that needs a pilot, and Bill inadvertently becomes involved.  But the title has a double meaning. The episode is a sort of reboot, and the focus is on Bill's initiation into the TARDIS rather than the wider peril.

It turns out that the Doctor has been hiding out in a university, rather like Professor Chronotis in Shada. As a university administrator, I'm glad he didn't choose mine.  I bet he never gets paperwork in on time and is really annoying in meetings (if he turns up at all.)  I wonder if he is research active for REF purposes? What sort of feedback does he get in the NSS? 

As a  Doctor Who fan, I am disappointed that he didn't choose my university.  After all we have a Cruciform, the inventor of the Panopticon and I could have loaned them a spare Dalek if they needed one...

*Edit: he has now seen this post and says he wouldn't.  But I bet he would really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...