Sunday 25 October 2015

The Woman Who Lived

Sunday 25 October 2015

It's the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, I've had an extra hour's sleep and a very nice lunch.

So, having had time to reflect,  what did I think of The Woman Who Lived? I liked it. It felt like a traditional Doctor Who story - there was something comfortably familiar about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on at the time.  I don't think that it was entirely that it reminded me of the 1980s Dick Turpin TV series starring Richard O'Sullivan.

There was also a moving reflection on what it would mean to be 'functionally immortal' - writing everything down in order to remember, and cutting out pages to forget the pain of loss (except for children  - those pages must be kept as a reminder against having more and repeating the tragedy.)

Once again, the alien threat was not central to the story (but this week's alien was frankly not worth more screen time). 

I liked the comedy highwayman - rather in the tradition of Glitz.  I  wouldn't mind seeing him again, but I'm not sure he has enough substance to be a regular character.  Talking of regular characters it was nice to hear a reference to Captain Jack. 

And the Doctor even remembers the Terreleptils, even if his recollection of the cause of the Great Fire of London is perhaps not entirely accurate...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Extenuating Circumstances

A while ago I pointed out that my university colleague and I had concerns about the personal tutoring arrangement between Bill and the Docto...